Consequences of the UK withdrawal from the European Union
Dear ERN PaedCan Members,
We would like to inform you about the consequences of the UK withdrawal from the European Union. The Withdrawal Agreement as agreed between the Parties in October 2019 will enter into force on 1 February 2020. It will have the following implications for the ERNs:
* UK healthcare providers can continue participating in the ERNs as members and they will continue to have access to the Clinical Patent Management System (CPMS) and other ERN IT tools and databases until the end of the transitional period (31 December 2020).
* Personal data of patients enrolled by an UK healthcare provider can be kept in the CPMS until the end of the transitional period (31 December 2020).
* UK healthcare providers will continue exercising their role of controllers of personal data of their enrolled patients in line with the GDPR and Union Law until the end of the transitional period (31 December 2020).
* As of 1 February 2020, UK authorities (i.e. ministry of health) will not participate anymore in the meetings concerning ERNs, e.g. the Board of Member States meetings, subject to the limited exceptions provided for in the Withdrawal Agreement.
* There will be no impact on the ERN Coordinators group meetings as all the UK coordinators have been already replaced by EU27 coordinators.